The Pro Bono Specialist will report directly to the Pro Bono Program Manager and will provide support to the firm-wide Pro Bono and Social Impact Management Team on a number of the firm’s pro bono and social impact programs and initiatives.
We value entrepreneurial self-starters who bring innovative solutions to the table.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day you will:
* Provide assistance to the Pro Bono Program Manager on tasks related to the project management of pro bono initiatives
* Assist both the Pro Bono Program Manager and the Social Impact Senior Manager with a wide range of Pro Bono and Social Impact-related activities and initiatives
* Research the pro bono needs of local communities where the firm has offices and identify opportunities that meet or address the needs and interests of individual attorneys and practice groups
* Establish and develop relationships with legal service organizations (LSOs) and community partners
* Assist the Program Manager with pro bono “Lunch and Learns” and other continuing legal education programming across all eight offices, including coordination of logistics for the lunch and learns
* Keep track of pro bono progress; prepare reports in an innovative, easily understood format using images and charts so that dense information can quickly be understood by the Pro Bono Committee, Partners-In-Charge, Practice Group Managers, and others; collect and compile data for office and practice group presentations
* Respond to attorney and staff inquiries and facilitate dissemination of referrals, legal information materials, forms, and community resources
* Respond to any and all questions regarding pro bono matters: matter opening process, engagement letters, scope questions, etc.
* Help find attorneys to work on cases referred by LSOs, try to place cases, and see accepted cases through to completion
* Work with Social Impact Senior Manager to identify and implement social impact opportunities in all firm-wide markets
* Along with the Pro Bono Program Manager, assist the Social Impact Senior Manager and office managers to consult on and recommend gifting decisions; assist with charitable giving processes
* Assist in maintaining pro bono intranet (portal), including internal pro bono opportunities database
* Assist in maintaining Racial Equity and Justice email alias and post opportunities on a regular basis
* Work with Pro Bono Committee Members and send office-specific opportunities for them to circulate on a regular basis, as requested by the Pro Bono Program Manager
* Maintain the Pro Bono Committee’s key documents
* Assist with collecting biographies for the Heart of Justice Award and other internal awards; create a survey to establish the winner
* Prepare language for marketing to announce Pro Bono updates and wins on social media; work on branding and social media presence
* Research pro bono awards nationwide and assist in applying individual attorneys and the firm for them
* Respond to national/regional/local pro bono/CSR-related surveys (e.g., ABA Pro Bono Challenge Report, NALP, marketplace surveys, etc.)
* Provide logistical support for pro bono educational conferences, and other events, including working directly with the Professional Development Department to secure CLE credits
* Schedule appointments, meetings, Zoom conference calls, arrange food/beverage service (as necessary), produce nametags, and other meeting-related duties as requested
* Attend team and other key meetings and take detailed minutes to build institutional database
* Become knowledgeable about internal pro bono and social impact policies and procedures, in order to assist in responding to attorney and staff inquiries
Join us if you have:
* Demonstrated proficiency with or ability to learn portal-related web design programs is required; previous experience with ViDesktop or ability to learn and use database application is preferred
* Demonstrated ability to employ independent judgment in developing strategies and approaches to strengthen the firm’s pro bono commitments
* Self-motivated and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously; ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
* Ability to maintain professional discretion when dealing with highly sensitive, confidential information
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and professionally with lawyers and staff, both in written and verbal communications
* Attention to detail, accuracy, and analytical and organizational skills
* Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment in both team and independent settings
* Strong client service skills are required, including understanding and responding to a variety of inquiries and requests
* Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Access is required; knowledge of all MS Office products, including SharePoint, is strongly preferred
A BS/BA degree and 2+ years of prior experience in a law firm and other professional services organization is helpful, but we are open to candidates from non-traditional backgrounds who have transferrable skills to succeed.
Who We Are
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
* Choice of health and vision insurance plans
* 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
* Dental plan
* Fertility and adoption benefit
* Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
* Tuition reimbursement
* Commuter benefits
* Retirement contribution
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to feel and reach with hands and arms and frequently required to sit, stand, walk and occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP believes that embracing diversity and inclusion brings out the best of what each individual has to offer and inspires us to build strong and lasting connections with each other, our clients, and our communities. We are committed to promoting a diverse workforce and inclusive environment where every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
To apply for this position, please use the following URL: