Commercial and Tech Transactions Paralegal/Administrative Professional
Description of position:
Costco Wholesale is seeking an experienced paralegal/administrative professional to join the legal team at its headquarters in Issaquah, Washington. In this role, you will provide primary paralegal and administrative support to three corporate/transactional attorneys supporting several of Costco’s business units, including merchandising (commercial transactions for retail goods), home improvement, e-commerce, information technology, information security, and IT vendor management. This position will focus on procurement transactions and business operations, not litigation or corporate governance or securities matters.
- Draft and revise commercial, technology transactions, licensing procurement, and settlement agreements, termination letters, and other template agreements in cooperation with responsible attorney.
- Assist with compliance review of private label packaging, advertising, and marketing material.
- Assist with information security incidents, including coordination of working group matters.
- Review confidentiality agreements/non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) and manage NDA process for the legal department.
- Review commercial contracts including software license agreements, software-as-a-service agreements, reseller agreements, master services agreements, IT services agreements, consulting agreements, SOWs, software development agreements, and merchandising agreements.
- Finalize, update, format, and maintain contracts, policies, forms, presentation slides, notebooks, spreadsheets, and shared documents and sites using Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Acrobat, and Google tools and platforms.
- General research on matters as they arise, including legal questions, member issues, and due diligence.
- Spearhead special projects as necessary, such as modernizing internal processes or handling business escalations.
- Heavy communication by phone and email with internal Costco clients and outside counsel.
- Intake and referral of legal matters to other counsel inside and outside of Costco when responsible attorneys are unavailable.
- Track compliance issues and follow-up with responsible persons across several departments; log transactions and events into Costco tracking and compliance tools.
- Review, code, and process outside counsel invoices for payment, including verification against Costco’s outside counsel policy, including invoicing policies, and communicate with outside counsel and internal legal team members to resolve issues.
- Prepare budget reports for each period, quarter, and year; track monthly expenditures to budget.
- Make travel arrangements and prepare expense reports.
- Manage filing of electronic and paper copies of agreements, email, other correspondence, and files.
- Assist attorneys with CLE (continuing legal education) and payment of annual bar association dues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least seven years of relevant paralegal and administrative professional experience, preferably with some in-house experience; paralegal certificate a plus.
- Strong familiarity with contracting processes and commercial contracts.
- Experience drafting and reviewing contracts preferred.
- Technology transactions background and/or technical aptitude preferred.
- Proven and reliable ability to maintain confidentiality in all legal matters.
- Proactive attitude and a strong interest in learning.
- Proven ability to stay calm and congenial, and to adjust positively to changes in direction and/or assignment.
- Advanced skills using Microsoft Office suite, Google tools, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Strong attention to detail and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on written and verbal communication.
- Well-organized, able to identify and prioritize tasks, excellent troubleshooting skills, and ability to successfully manage multiple projects.
- Ability to make sound critical decisions and accept personal responsibility for those decisions.
- Knowledge of Costco (or similar consumer retail and/or e-commerce business) operations a plus.
At Costco, you will build a long-lasting career in a renowned culture where the company is committed to taking care of its employees, members, and suppliers. You will be empowered to independently drive results within your areas of responsibility, and you will feel good about what you are helping to build.
Please apply online at: