Smith Freed Eberhard is seeking a litigation paralegal to join our Seattle office in our Commercial Litigation and Personal Lines practice areas. Smith Freed Eberhard is a tier one litigation defense firm that specializes in multiple practice areas. Attorneys at the firm are consistently recognized by Martindale Hubbell,Best Lawyers, and Super Lawyersas being top-ranked trial lawyers. To find out more information about the firm, please visit our website at www.smithfreed.com.
Smith Freed Eberhard offers a fun, professional work environment with flexibility in work schedules. Collaboration between partners, associates, paralegals and staff is vital to providing our clients with superior service. Employees have the ability to participate in making the community a better place with community service and community fundraising opportunities Smith Freed Eberhard provides the tools you need to succeed in your career.
As a litigation paralegal for Smith Freed Eberhard you will be responsible for the review and analysis of claim materials and client records, conducting background investigations, obtaining public records through multiple municipalities. In addition, you will assist with drafting discovery and pleadings for attorney review.
As cases progress, you will further assist the attorneys in identifying key exhibits for depositions, mediations, arbitration and/or trial. The creation of detailed summaries, notebooks for attorney use, exhibits, conducting various research projects is a part of this position. In addition, you will be working with various experts (medical, accident reconstruction, engineering, etc.) to obtain the necessary records for review, scheduling of IMEs or site visits, participating in teleconferences and verifying their credentials prior to their engagement.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize assignments, and manage multiple deadlines
- Monitor and manage litigation files, including tracking deadlines
- Ability to move cases forward with little supervision
- Draft discovery and pleadings for attorney review
- Identify records responsive to discovery in addition to identifying missing records for furtherance of case investigation
- Review and analyze medical records and medical bills to create medical chronologies and medical billing summaries
- Perform in-depth research and investigation for case development
- Assist attorneys with exhibits, creation of notebooks for attorney reference, preparation of materials for depositions, mediation, arbitration and/or trial
- Identify and understand each carrier-specific billing guideline to ensure work is being performed within those guidelines
The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced litigation paralegal who has demonstrated the ability to handle complex assignments, work independently, possesses excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills. The ability to multitask, while maintaining a high level of detail and quality of work is desired. Familiarity with the insurance industry is a plus. Experience in preparing discovery, pleadings, and motions for attorney review for both Oregon and Washington is desired.
- Experience with personal injury cases; specifically the review and analysis of medical records, creation of medical chronologies, review of medical billing and creation of medical billing summaries is greatly preferred.
- Experience and knowledge of Washington expert discovery Rules is desired.
- Microsoft office, including Excel, Word, and Adobe Acrobat is required.
- Prior experience with billing time and maintaining a set billable requirement are also key components for this position.
- Fosters Teamwork – provides assistance, information and/or support to others. Listens and responds constructively to other team members and their ideas.
- Manages Change – recognizes inefficiencies and plans, develops, and executes change.
- Effective Communication – expresses ideas clearly and concisely through verbal and written communications. Uses proper grammar and punctuation.
- Analytical Thinker - The ability to tackle a problem by using a logical, systematic approach.
- Initiative: Identifying what needs to be done and doing it before being asked or before the situation requires it.
- Flexibility - Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things.
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation commensurate with education and experience
- A structured paralegal bonus program
- Encouragement of continued paralegal education, inclusive of certifying and advanced certifying opportunities
- Well rounded benefits package including Health, Dental, FSA, STD, LTD, Life Insurance, 401k, and profit sharing
- Mass transit reimbursement
- Flexible work schedule
- Casual work environment
- Opportunity to work as part of a cohesive team
- On the go billing
- Private office
Smith Freed Eberhard is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, military service obligations or other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Send Resumes: email@example.com