General Position Overview:
The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a full-time Legal Assistant/Paralegal to support our Oceans and International programs. The Center’s Oceans program works to protect marine wildlife and ecosystems from threats including offshore drilling, plastic pollution, climate change, and destructive fisheries. The Center’s International program works to protect species outside U.S. borders that are threatened by trade, habitat destruction, and trophy hunting through both domestic litigation and international diplomacy.
The Legal Assistant/Paralegal will provide legal and administrative support as well as substantive research and analysis for a dynamic team to further litigation, policy advocacy, grassroots organizing and media outreach. The working environment is fast-paced, exciting and supportive. The position is full-time and can be located in either our Oakland or Seattle offices.
- Preparation of legal documents, including cite-checking, proofreading, completing tables for briefs, formatting, preparing excerpts of records and related tasks.
- Filing and serving documents, including ensuring compliance with court rules in a variety of state and federal jurisdictions; e-filing; calendar management for administrative actions and court filings; and related tasks.
- Conducting factual research to support advocacy, case development, and report preparation.
- Developing and maintaining a document management system.
- Reviewing and summarizing government documents and databases and drafting comment letters and other requests.
- Assisting with the planning and handling of internal and external meetings, travel and conference arrangements.
- Assisting with event coordination such as public presentations, rallies, and hearings.
Essential qualities, qualifications and skills:
- A university degree. Paralegal certificate preferred, but significant experience as a paralegal or legal assistant is acceptable in lieu of a paralegal certificate;
- A minimum of two years experience in the legal field.
- Proficiency in legal secretarial tasks, including attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Track record meeting deadlines and strong time management skills.
- Excellent research and writing skills.
- Proficiency working with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Adobe Pro.
- Strong communication skills to facilitate working with attorneys in offices throughout the country;
- An ability to manage multiple projects and to work well with others as part of an effective team.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Center offers an excellent benefits package, including:
- Employer-paid medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with employer match.
- Relaxed work atmosphere
Application Process: Please submit a cover letter, resume, references and a writing sample as a single PDF by May 24th, 2019. No telephone calls, please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. https://biologicaldiversity.org/about/jobs
The Center for Biological Diversity deeply values, and is committed to sustaining and promoting, both biological and cultural diversity. We welcome, embrace and respect diversity of people, identities and cultures. We are committed to fostering an organizational culture of diversity and inclusion. The Center believes staff and board diversity is critical to saving life on Earth.
We are an equal opportunity employer.