Title: Legal Assistant
Department: Legal and Compliance
Location: Bellevue, Washington
Reporting to: General Counsel
Cercano Management LLC (“Cercano”) is a newly formed SEC-registered investment manager focused on ultra-high net worth clients and the entities associated with those clients, such as a family foundation. Cercano is based in Bellevue, WA, with offices in Minneapolis, MN, and Singapore. Cercano invests globally for its clients, commonly operating as the family office Chief Investment Officer. The team has extensive experience in direct investing in all stages of venture capital, private equity, private credit, and public equities on a global basis.
Cercano offers services for all aspects of a client’s assets or family office. The team also has experience working with clients who have significant investments in non-financial assets on a global scale, such as fine art, professional sports teams, entertainment properties, intellectual property, commercial real estate, farmland, and personal residential estates.
We are currently seeking a Legal Assistant who will play an integral role in Cercano’s Legal and Compliance Department directly supporting the General Counsel and Associate General Counsel. The ideal candidate is someone with excellent organizational skills who can visualize the big picture while sweating the minutiae. Professional, logical, self-motivated, and discreet, the candidate must have strong written and oral communication skills and be able to interface with a variety of internal and external stakeholders. This job will require the ability to think critically and present confidently.
This position provides an excellent opportunity for recent college graduates considering law school or a career in investment management, as the candidate will gain marketable experience:
- supporting private equity, venture capital, private credit and public markets investment teams;
- drafting and managing transaction documents and corporate governance materials;
- managing day-to-day legal and compliance matters; and
- providing services in support of investment management for ultra-high net worth clients.
Additionally, the candidate will be joining a team of good-natured and thoughtful professionals who are supportive and experienced mentors. We welcome energetic, bright candidates who share these professional values. Applicants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assisting in the build out of legal document management system
- Reviewing and coordinating with internal teams, investment professionals, external counterparties, and clients on a variety of legal agreements such as confidentiality agreements, vendor agreements, and transaction agreements.
- Tracking various legal and compliance processes (e.g., employee activities, corporate governance, and anti-money laundering compliance) and directly working with external compliance consultants and vendors
- Organizing and maintaining books and records for advisory entities and funds, as well as transaction closing sets
- Preparing and maintaining organizational and structure charts
- Liaising with finance and accounting to facilitate payment of legal and compliance invoices
- Scheduling internal and external meetings and conference calls
- Filing expense reimbursement forms and organizing travel
- Performing ad hoc projects as needed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, experience, skill, and/or ability
- Excellent organizational, writing, and interpersonal skills. Must be highly organized and detail oriented and able to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Professional demeanor, resourceful and able to handle multiple and changing priorities.
- Strong work ethic and commitment to excellence.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with a demonstrated sense of urgency, responsiveness, and commitment.
- Hybrid work schedule with preference for two to three days per week at Cercano’s Bellevue, WA office
- Proficiency in SharePoint and Microsoft Office software (e.g. Word, Excel, OneNote, Teams, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
- B.A. or B.S. degree from accredited institution