Paralegal – Patent, Intellectual Property
This is an exciting opportunity to work for one of the top law firms in the U.S.! Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is looking for a Paralegal – Patent, Intellectual Property to join our team. This position can be fully remote while working within reasonable commuting distance from our Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, or Los Angeles office.
This position is responsible for filing and maintaining International and foreign patent filing applications, overseeing disclosure of references, supporting annuity services, conducting patent searches and due diligence in support of litigation and commercial transactions.
At Davis Wright Tremaine, you will find challenging assignments, opportunities for professional growth and community involvement, and a culture of inclusion. DWT fosters inclusiveness and authenticity. Regardless of position, everyone here has a voice and the support is unparalleled.
On a typical day you will:
Join us if you have:
- File International (PCT) applications and PCT follow on filings with appropriate offices
- File various types of foreign patent applications with the assistance of foreign counsel
- Review and understand patent docket entries, and actions needed in response to each deadline
- Review incoming communications with attention to patent disclosure requirements in the U.S. and other jurisdictions. Coordinate disclosure of references where needed
- Correspond with clients regarding upcoming annuity deadlines; collect annuity retainers and instruct payments through the firm's annuity payment service
- Conduct patent searches. Extract and organize data retrieved from public and private databases
- Respond to patent due diligence requests
- Participate in patent filing strategy discussions and prepare accurate foreign filing estimates for budgeting purposes
- Conduct factual research (for example: foreign requirements and allowances, chain of title, formality requirements) for patent filings using software tools and library resources
- Provide litigation and transaction support as needed
- Accurately and completely record billable time spent and tasks performed in accordance with firm policy and client-imposed billing protocol, enter and release time promptly in compliance with firm's announced deadlines
- Accurately and promptly submit records of hours worked in compliance with firm policy and applicable employment law
- Additional duties: The position may include some or all of the following, depending upon the applicant's qualifications
- Assist with U.S. patent filings
- Prepare and file Information Disclosure Statements
- Patent Proofreading
- Verification of Patent Term Adjustment
- Assist with preparation and filing of sequence listings
- Prepare copyright applications; compile supporting information and documentation from clients
Who We Are
- Four-year degree and completion of a paralegal program of study, or clear demonstration of equivalent knowledge and skill
- 3+ years’ experience as an intellectual property/patent paralegal, with a significant focus on foreign prosecution
- High level of familiarity with PATTSY (or equivalent Docketing software), Thomson Innovation, Thomson Connected IP Payments, Espacenet, ePCT, PATENTSCOPE, and USPTO's PAIR and EFS Web filing systems
- Knowledge of Paris Convention rules, PCT rules and procedures, and country law related to patents
- Advanced proficiency in Internet research skills and use of Microsoft Office computerized business applications (e.g., Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Ability to perform complex tasks and work independently with minimal guidance from attorneys, patent agents and/or scientific advisors
- Highly professional writing skill with ability to convey substantive content clearly and concisely
- Highly developed skill in time and task management, with ability to organize assignments, work calmly under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability and desire to exercise initiative and independent responsibility
- Ability and desire to work closely and collaboratively with colleagues
- Highly developed attention to detail in striving for perfection in work product and client service
- Ability to protect client confidentiality in compliance with rules of ethics and firm policy
- Availability and willingness to travel, if needed
- Availability and willingness to work extended or flexible hours as needed to accommodate client needs
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is an AmLaw 100 law firm with eight offices nationwide. We are relentlessly committed to client service and look for candidates who share that commitment. At DWT, client service means having empathy for each client’s and each lawyer’s work and personal pressures, business objectives, and legal needs; anticipating their needs; and having the capabilities and commitment to deliver what matters most to them.
What’s in it For You?
DWT offers competitive compensation in addition to ample benefits including but not limited to:
* Choice of health and vision insurance plans
* 2 paid volunteer days for qualifying community service work
* Dental plan
* Fertility and adoption benefit
* Paid sabbatical after 13 years of service
* Tuition reimbursement
* Commuter benefits
* Retirement contribution
This job description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are part of the fabric of Davis Wright Tremaine—central to who we are and what we do. Our vision is to foster a culture where all talented individuals—including those from traditionally underrepresented populations—can have, and can see, a path to success. We are committed to fostering DEI because it makes our firm better, in every way. At DWT, every employee has the right to work in surroundings that are free from all forms of unlawful discrimination. It is our policy to hire, promote, transfer, terminate, and make all employment-related decisions without regard to an employee’s sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical condition), race, color, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, religious creed, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, military condition, military or veteran status or any other basis prohibited by applicable local, state, or federal laws.
Davis Wright Tremaine provides reasonable accommodations for those who need them to complete the application or recruiting process and for employees who need reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their positions due to a disability or for religious reasons. If you need to request accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please contact email@example.com.